This is too cute not to share!
This is too cute not to share!
Warning: may cause watering of the eyes.
The words we use are powerful:
Notice the words you use today.
Given that my most popular posts have been weight-loss related, I thought I would give you what you want:
Top Ten Ways To Lose Weight
1) Cut the crap. Eat real food made with real ingredients. Read the label, if you can’t pronounce it, it’s not real food. Get back to the basics.
2) Drink 8 glasses of water a day. Start each and everyday with a tall glass of water as soon as you wake up before you have anything else, it will clean you out and give you energy. Then have a glass of water every hour for the next 7 hours. Often we are eating when we are actually dehydrated, if you wake up in the morning with a dry parched mouth or wake up in the middle of the night thirsty, you are dehydrated.
3) Move every day for at least an hour. Get some exercise in one form or another; walk, run, take a class, take the stairs, dance, the possibilities are endless.
4) Eat more fruits, vegetables and proteins (lean meat, beans, yogurt, etc.), organic if you can.
5) Cut the starches: bread, potatoes, rice, muffins, cake, pasta, etc.
6) Cut the fat: butter, oil, deep-fried anything, go to skim milk, no-fat yogurt, no cream, muffins & cookies are packed with fat.
7) Have a positive attitude about what you’re doing – don’t lament that you “can’t” have your chips, chocolate bar, Frappuccino, etc. This could easily be your undoing.
8) Connect with how you feel when you eat healthy food versus unhealthy food and how you feel when you exercise versus when you don’t. Notice how good it feels to eat well and exercise and connect with that.
9) Spend a little time outside every day, take some deep breathes, connect with nature if you can. De-stress.
10) Watch your portions. Learn how many calories your body needs each day as fuel to maintain the weight you are at. If you cut 500 calories a day by eating less and exercising you will lose one pound per week. I recommend just one pound per week. Be patient. Here is a free website you can use to tally your calories each day:
It’s a good idea to do this at first so you can get an idea of how many calories the foods you eat have and how many calories your body burns each day. You can also enter your exercise and keep track of the calories burned each day. You wouldn’t drive somewhere with just the address and no map, you need a map to get where you want to go. If you need moral support join a group (weight watchers) or make your own group with your friends, just make sure they are positive friends who will help you and not hinder you.
Let me know how it goes!
Back in January I wrote my blog post How I Lost 18 Lbs. on my Holiday and to date it is my most read and commented post. It gave me an inkling that it is a subject you are all interested in, so I thought I would share some tips that have worked for me over the years to maintain my weight and also lose a few pounds when the scale starts to rise.
These tips are meant to be life long habits; just like you have gotten into the habit of brushing your teeth daily try to get into these habits and they will make a world of a difference to your health and your size.
As soon as you get up in the morning have a tall glass of water.
It is a great way to start the day, it will clear you out, give you energy and wake you up.
Then have a glass of water every hour for the next 8 hours.
After that stop or you will be getting up at night to go to bathroom.
This is what it will do for you:
It will keep you from over-eating.
Whenever I find myself hungry and over-eating I always always always find I have not been drinking my water – it happens every time, truly! A lot of times we think we are hungry when we are actually dehydrated but we don’t recognize it so we eat instead.
It will keep you from drinking sugar.
Take of tally of how much sugar you drink each day in your coffee, tea, juice, you may be shocked. This will give you an idea, each cube has 10 calories:
1 bottle of Sobe = 14 sugar cubes
1 bottle of Poweraide = 13 sugar cubes
1 bottle Fruitopia = 11 sugar cubes
1 can of Pop = 10 sugar cubes
1 cup of 100% juice = 7 sugar cubes
Water = 0 sugar cubes
Now sugar is whole other blog post on it’s own so for now I will only say that decreasing your sugar intake is in your best interest.
It will keep you hydrated.
Do you often feel thirsty?
Do you wake up at night thirsty?
Do you get up in the morning to a dry parched mouth?
All sure signs you are dehydrated.
Just imagine a car without oil, that’s you without water.
Besides keeping your weight down, here are some other fabulous side-effects from drinking lots of water:
– Fills in your wrinkles, really!
– Gives you nice clear skin.
– Gives you energy.
Just think of a sad wilted plant that hasn’t been watered and then see the change when you water it.
– Helps with digestion. This one is super important (more on this later).
– Clears toxins out of your system. Bonus: If I feel like I’m getting sick I drink two litres of water that day, it flushes out the virus and then I don’t get sick, works like a charm!
– It is also said that drinking lots of water can prevent all sorts of illnesses like Alzheimer’s (more on this later) and Dementia.
Yes you will be visiting the washroom more often and it is a bit of a hassle but weigh the pros versus the cons and I assure you it is very much worth it!
They key here is to make drinking this much water everyday a habit.
Here are some tips to help you get into the habit:
– Set an hourly alarm to remind you
– Fill a jug with your water for the day and make sure you finish it
– Do it with a friend or a co-worker and remind each other
– Every time you are about to eat something, have a glass of water
Let me know how it goes in the comments below.